Undergoing infertility treatment and in vitro fertilization (IVF) can be financially overwhelming, and the cost of medications is a large part of the expense. This is why my practice works with leading pharmaceutical companies in order to provide information about and offer medication discount programs to our eligible patients.
EMD Serono is the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA, a global pharmaceutical and chemical group, and the maker of several fertility drugs used during in vitro fertlization. To reduce financial barriers for infertility treatment and help uninsured or underinsured, income-eligible patients afford their medications, Serono offers the Compassionate Care Program, as well as programs for veterans, including one that completely covers the cost of medication for some.
The Compassionate Care Program is based on income and can provide up to 75 percent savings on the following fertility medications for those who are eligible.
- Cetrotide Injection 0.25mg/vial (cetrorelix)
- Gonal-F Prefilled Pen 300iu, 900iu (follintropin alpha)
- Ovidrel Injection (choriogonadotropin alfa)
Depending on a patient's income, eligible patients may save either 50 to 75 percent off of the self-pay price of medicine or save $10 per unit after completing a mail-in rebate. In addition, depending on income, eligible medically retired veterans may save 25 percent, 50 percent or 75 percent off of the self-pay price of medicine. Eligible patients may also use the program for multiple cycles during each year.
In addition to the Compassionate Care Program, EMD Serono offers the following to help eligible patients obtain the medications they need:
- Free medication for eligible, uninsured veterans with infertility caused by a service-related injury - or to their spouses.
- A Co-Pay Savings Card for eligible, privately insured patients. They can save up to $250 on their prescriptions at participating pharmacies.
- Discount via Mail-in Rebate for eligible, self-pay patients.
- Partnership with LIVESTRONG, through which the company is the sole donor of medication for qualified patients with cancer.
If you are a self-pay patient or if you have limited insurance coverage, it is a good idea to apply for this program. To apply or to receive more information on the program criteria or expected savings, please click here.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals is a biopharmaceutical company that is active in the areas of reproductive health, urology, endocrinology and more. The company makes the following fertility rugs:
The company offers the IVF Greenlight program, a discount program in which cash-paying patients can realize up to 50 percent savings on Bravell, and 15 percent savings on Menopur, Endometrin and Novarel.
There is no financial criteria to qualify for this program -everyone qualifies when they purchase 10 vials of Bravelle and 10 vials of Menopur. The purchase of Endometrin and Novarel is optional, with no minimum requirement. You can claim your rebate by doing the following:
- Fill your prescription at a qualifying IVF Greenlight pharmacy (see list of qualifying pharmacies available on www.ivfgreenlight.com)
- Complete enrollment form available on www.ivfgreenlight.com and attach valid pharmacy receipts for purchase of Bravelle and Menopur, as well as receipts for optional purchase of Endometrin and/or Novarel.
- Mail completed enrollment form and accompanying pharmacy receipts within 30 days of Bravelle and Menopur purchase to:
IVF Greenlight Redemption Center
920 Harvest Drive, Suite 199
Blue Bell, PA 19422
Merck Pharmaceuticals manufactures several commonly prescribed fertility agents, including:
- Ganirelix Acetate
Merck offers discounted pricing to the uninsured on all of their medications through the DesignRx pharmacy network. To locate a DesignRx network pharmacy, please click here.
DesignRx also manages a patient assistance program for Merck called First Steps. Patients who qualify for the First Steps program can be eligible for even deeper discounts on Merck fertility products. The First Steps program mainly examines a patient's income to determine if the patient will qualify for an additional 5 percent, 25 percent, 50 percent or 75 percent off the Follistim, Ganirelix and Pregnyl. The DesignRx price is found at participating DesignRx pharmacies.
The First Steps program will also accept hardship cases as additional qualifier for discounts, and it extends an automatic a 25 percent discount to all active and veteran military members.To learn more about or to apply for the First Steps program, please click here.
Merck's fertility product are positioned at DesignRx pharmacies to give fertility patients the lowest price possible at the point of sale, and it doesn't require patients to deal with mail-in rebates to receive the lowest price.