Gender selection works in conjunction with In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) treatment to help hopeful parents-to-be plan their family. Patients undergoing IVF can select the gender of their child through the medical marvel of Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD).
Gender Selection With IVF
Gender selection through PGD – in tandem with an IVF treatment – can be used when parents would like to balance their family. PGD is also helpful to avoid the potential of carrying on a sex-related genetic abnormality.
According to Dr. Laurence A. Jacobs, gender selection by way of PGD is more than 99 percent accurate and safe for embryos. In addition to giving parents the option of selecting the sex of their child, it is also recommended that PGD be used for gender selection in cases where sex-related diseases are a medical concern (for example, hemophilia).
Gender Selection and IVF
Family planning through sex selection in conjunction with IVF is basically the same procedure a patient would go through in a conventional IVF. The only difference in the procedure occurs within the laboratory as the embryos are developing.
- The patient’s eggs are surgically retrieved by the doctor using a transvaginal ultrasound-guided aspiration tool
- The patient’s eggs are then fertilized with sperm in a controlled embryological laboratory for a 3 day period
- Gender selection involves extracting and testing one cell from each of 3-day old embryos
- Gender selection is performed by removing one cell from the embryo and analyzing same for its chromosomal makeup
- Gender selection analysis reveals the chromosomal makeup of the embryo in order to determine which embryos are male and those that are female
- All resulting embryos are continuously monitored until they reach an optimum stage of development
- A predetermine number of high grade embryo of the desired sex are then transferred to the woman’s uterus via an insemination catheter
- Excess quality embryos can be cryopreserved for future Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) procedures
Gender Selection in Conjunction With IVF
Discover how Dr. Laurence Jacobs can help you plan your future family through gender selection in conjunction with IVF. Fertility Centers of Illinois has 10 fertility clinic locations and 2 IVF centers throughout the Chicagoland area. After you consult with Dr. Laurence Jacobs, you can choose from all 10 office locations for ultrasound scans and blood test monitoring during your IVF treatment.
Click the icon below to schedule your consultation with the Doctor – or – call 888.325.7389.