If you’re trying to get pregnant this summer – you must be proactive about your activity level and a healthy diet. A healthy lifestyle will increase your chances of conceiving and help to support a successful pregnancy and birth.
Summer Fertility Activities
Getting out in the good weather and soaking up as much vitamin D as possible is important for embryo and healthy bone development.
Stay fit by engaging in stress-busting exercise. Women with high stress levels can take up to 29 percent longer to conceive than those who have lower anxiety. Outdoor yoga and long walks are recommended as good sources of stress relief for women.
It’s advised to avoid excessive exercise in hot weather so as not to overheat the testicles. Men should also avoid tight-fitting clothing when working outdoors in the summer heat. Less heat to the testicles promotes better fertility.
For Both Women and Men
Kick your nasty habits this summer – such as smoking and consuming excessive amounts of alcohol. The long summer evenings give you the time to distract from these cravings when you take up outdoor activities.
Smoking can be harmful in fertility health as it can damage the ovaries and fallopian tubes in women, while also effecting men by reducing sperm count. Smokers are 54 percent more likely to take over a year to get pregnant, while 13 percent of infertility cases are directly linked to smoking.
Summer Fertility Foods
Summer fruits are a great source of vitamin C which helps keep eggs and sperm healthy.
Choosing fish instead of red meat is also recommended for its fatty acids. Fish promotes cell development and helps with egg fertilization. Fish and seafood are a great source of Omega 3 and Vitamin B12.
Summer Veggies Promote Fertility
Carrots can improve sperm motility by up to 8 percent increase fertilization chances.
- Low-sodium canned or frozen veggies
- Herbs and spices instead of salt
- Lemon juice, citrus zest, or hot chilies for extra flavor and no sodium
- Canned fruits packed in juice or water – not syrup
- Non-fat, plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
- Healthy vegetable oils instead of butter
- Half wheat and half white flour
- Puree sweet potatoes, carrots, or cauliflower and keep in freezer for easy use in soups and casseroles
- Instead of alcohol – infuse cranberries, pomegranate arils, or orange slices into sparkling water
The Infertility Doctor
At his beautiful Hoffman Estates IL location, Dr. Laurence A. Jacobs offers customized fertility treatment for every patient’s personal and medical needs.
- Diagnostic Testing and Corrective Treatments
- Non-invasive IUI – Intrauterine Insemination – artificial insemination
- IVF – In Vitro Fertilization – including using donor eggs
- Genetic Testing and Gender Selection in conjunction with IVF
- Egg Donor & Gestational Carrier IVF cycles
- Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) procedures
- Cryopreservation – Oocyte (egg), Embryo, Sperm
Click here to schedule your New Patient Telemedicine Consultation via Zoom with Dr. Jacobs – or call 888.325.7389.