IUI is a low cost – yet very successful – fertility treatment option when you are having difficulty getting pregnant. Increase your odds of getting pregnant by up to 40.5 percent with non-invasive Intrauterine Insemination (IUI). IUI is the process of inserting sperm directly into the uterus through the cervix in a procedure performed in the comfort of Dr. Laurence Jacobs’ Office. It is similar to a Pap smear procedure.
IUI Helps Overcome Infertility Factors
- 40 percent of infertility cases are due to female-factors
- 40 percent of infertility cases are due to male-factors
- 20 percent of infertility cases are due to both male and female factors
Benefits of IUI
- Pregnancy success typically occurs within three to six IUI cycles.
- Women in their advanced reproductive years – late 30s and early to mid-40s – may require more IUI cycles – or – elect to move on to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF).
- IUI can be performed using your partner’s sperm or donor sperm.
- IUI is commonly prescribed as a first treatment option for unexplained fertility when regular sexual intercourse timed within the woman’s ovulation window has failed.
- IUI works by effectively timing a woman’s ovulation of multiple egg follicles with the insertion of a highly concentrated amount of motile sperm into her cervix.
Simple IUI Process
- After her natural cycle has been regulated, the woman’s egg production is stimulated through the administration of oral fertility medications (Clomid or Femara)
- Multiple egg follicles will be produced during one monthly cycle
- The doctor regularly monitors the growth of the woman’s egg follicles through ultrasound imaging and blood tests
- Once the egg follicles have reached a mature stage, ovulation is induced using a medication – the hCG trigger injection
- The hCG injection is performed at home on a set time/date to facilitate the timing of ovulation and insemination of the sperm at the IUI procedure
- On the day of the IUI procedure, the frozen donor sperm specimen is thawed and prepared
- Usually two IUIs are performed after the hCG trigger injection – between 12 and 36 hours – to increase the chance of pregnancy in a single cycle
- Progesterone is prescribed daily via suppository to help prepare the woman’s uterine lining for implantation of the fertilized egg – the embryo
- A pregnancy test is scheduled on a date prescribed by the doctor through a blood draw
IUI Expertise in Chicago
At his beautiful Chicagoland Hoffman Estates IL location, Dr. Laurence A. Jacobs offers cutting-edge expertise in successful, non-invasive IUI – Intrauterine Insemination – artificial insemination.
Click here to schedule your New Patient Telemedicine Consultation via Zoom with Dr. Jacobs – or call 888.325.7389.