As quoted in Glam Magazine, Dr. Laurence Jacobs explains: During a regular monthly cycle, many immature eggs develop in the ovaries and one mature egg is released and picked up by the Fallopian tube during ovulation. For women with PCOS, the hormones needed for an egg to fully mature are not present, preventing ovulation from occurring and causing multiple small cysts to form on the ovaries.
PCOS Diagnosis & Treatment
PCOS is a condition causing up to 20 percent of women in America to be infertile due to cysts growing on their ovaries. PCOS is diagnosed when a woman generates excessive androgens – male hormones.
The best treatment for infertile women suffering from PCOS is IVF. Women suffering from infertility due to PCOS respond very well to injectable fertility medications and have a high percentage rate of successful ovulation.
PCOS Signs & Symptoms
- Irregular or Absent Periods
- Heavy Bleeding
- Pelvic Pain
- Failure to Ovulate
- Acne and oily skin
- Excess Hair Growth or Balding
- Patches of Thickened Skin
- Weight Gain or Obesity
Complications of PCOS can include:
- Infertility – Miscarriage – Premature Birth
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Gestational diabetes or pregnancy-induced high blood pressure
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis — a severe liver inflammation caused by fat accumulation in the liver
- Metabolic syndrome — a cluster of conditions including high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels that significantly increase your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Type 2 diabetes or prediabetes
- Sleep apnea
- Depression, anxiety and eating disorders
- Cancer of the uterine lining (endometrial cancer)
Ovulation Problems Due to PCOS
- No ovulation (anovulation)
- Infrequent or irregular ovulation
PCOS Diagnosis & Treatment Expertise
At his beautiful Hoffman Estates IL location, Dr. Laurence A. Jacobs offers a vast array of cutting-edge fertility diagnostic testing and treatment protocols for every patient.
- Diagnostic Testing and Corrective Treatments
- Non-invasive IUI – Intrauterine Insemination – artificial insemination
- IVF – In Vitro Fertilization – including using donor eggs
- Genetic Testing and Gender Selection in conjunction with IVF
- Egg Donor & Gestational Carrier IVF cycles
- Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) procedures
- Cryopreservation – Oocyte (egg), Embryo, Sperm
Click here to schedule your New Patient Telemedicine Consultation via Zoom with Dr. Jacobs – or call 888.325.7389.